Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Boy, did I feel like that lovable loser sitting in the pumpkin patch patiently waiting for a spot to make a move that would never come. The Riverchasers freeroll last night at the golf course in Center Square was another experimental, deeper stack event. For a grinder like me, that should be good news. Not.

I lost about 15% of my stack early calling down a couple hands being second best. That caused me to get a little gun shy when similar situations arose, but I was actually best. Then I called a 3x raise out of the SB with two black nines and 2 early position limpers tagged along with pot odds. Flop was a good, but dangerous, K98 with two diamonds. I was first to act and fired about 1/2 the pot which was enough to send the table scurrying. Now I was back over my starting stack. And the cards went absolutely dead.

The only even marginal hands I was picking up were UTG. KQs, Axs, crap that I would have thought about playing from around back, but almost never early on UTG. My button hands were all 52, 42s, T3, Q4 and there were no cheap flops to be seen. Blind me down. Blind me down. Break the table. Final 3 tables.

I get moved to a 9 person table in the cutoff with about 4 BB left at 15/30. I folded 2 or 3 times and then picked up two black eights. After an EP limp, I decide I need to take a stand. SB calls with AQo and the BB and EP fold. So, now I'm racing to more than double up. Flop is K94. I think I see him. Turn pairs the K. Rising out of the pumpkin patch to double up all of the good little patient grinders. River A. I got a rock. And IGH in 26th out of around twice that many.

My game is definitely regressing into weak-tight territory. I only can get out once (or sometimes twice) a week to play these games and hate to waste them going home early. This is a huge leak and I don't know what I'm going to do about it. Anyway, thanks to Griff who, as usual, runs a killer game. Next time out will be Saturday for the super satellite to the Borgata $1000+100 ultimate satellite. I think Riverchasers is giving out 6-8 seats to this bad boy.

No comments: