Monday, February 25, 2008

Little of This, Little of That

Played a lot of poker over the weekend, at least by my standards.

Since the kids were off on Friday due to the snow, and my commute would have been significantly more treacherous than my wife's, I had the unenviable task of trying to entertain two small girls for the day. Even though the older one, for the most part, entertained herself, that entertainment monopolized the laptop with the wireless connection. So, with Diego on the tube and the sounds of webkinz eminating from the computer, I managed to not pull out all of my hair. Finally, around 4:00, I decided that I had enough and packed them in the car for an early dinner at Friendly's. I figured that would kill off the rest of the day until my wife got home.

Graciously, she offered up a poker night which I readily accepted so off to the riverchasers game at the golf course I went. First hand I pick up JJ (which I hear is just ok, and agree), raise and get a few callers (obv). Flop leaves me with an overpair to the board and I c-bet which is check-called by a blind and smooth called by the button. Now, the button player notoriously plays low-mid connectors and semi-connectors and this flop could very well have hit him hard. Being that this is the first hand, I end up check folding the Q on the turn. It was probably a really bad fold, but I just had a bad feeling and decided to minimize my loss. Unfortunately, things didn't really improve from there as I lost another chunk of my stack on a flopped nut flush draw and 5:1 odds to call. It didn't get there on the turn, and a player with a flopped set shoved to chase out the draws before the river. As it turns out, there was another player with the K high draw, so I stood to make a bundle if it came out. Then, a little more than halfway through the field, my KTo couldn't catch up to A6o in a blind vs blind confrontation and I was done. Meh.

So what do I do? I sign up for the losers consolation SNG for RC points only. These things are typically even more laggy than the main tournament, so I went with that flow. I call a raise out of the SB with 88 and am met with a reraise shove from the BB. There was no reason to think that this was a big pair so, when everyone else folded, I called expecting great pot odds on a probable race. He flipped 44. Heh. GG sir. Thank you for your chips.

Very next hand, I get my old nemesis, JJ, on the button. After a raise and a few callers, I decide to play it fast and reraise twice the pot. Two callers! Bad news for them, I flopped top set and both decided to bet into me. Ok then. If you like your hands so much, let's play for all your chips. I shoved and got a call by a gut shot draw. Gotta love the RPT SNGs. Now, with half of the chips at the table, I bullied my way into a heads up match with a full on donkey image. The coup de grĂ¢ce occurred pretty quickly when I raised on the button with J9 and got a call by 93o. Flop was JJ3 and she bet almost 1/3 of her stack to which I responded by putting her all in. She called. Running 3's were not to be found, and the consolation prize was mine. At least it took the sour taste of the main tournament out of my mouth.

On Saturday, I took second in a micro limit SNG on tilt after I donked off the chip lead heads up. I hate when the table bully finally picks up cards. Oh well. Second is better than the string of fourths I'd been collecting. Then on Sunday, my wife had some party to go to for the afternoon. It was one of those events where someone is trying to sell stuff to the guests, either for profit or for charity. This one was for charity and had something to do with clothes, but the important point was that I got to entertain the girls again for the entire afternoon. I'm not quite sure who got the worse end of that deal.

Anyway, I apparently looked a bit surly when she got home, so she suggested that I go out for a bit after the kids went to bed. Given that this was a Sunday, and all the riverchasers games start on the early side, I went over the local league game that was 5 minutes from home. Played pretty well, but couldn't get a guy with QQ to lay down on a AKx flop where I raised pre-flop. Of course, I was playing JTs at the time, but that's not the point. After he called my c-bet on the flop (he just smooth called pre), I shut down. He was one of the tighter players there, and I had to assume that he hit that flop given his image and action. Wow, if a Q turns or rivers, I stack him. But no. So I have to go back to stealing just to keep up with the blinds since we are now playing 2 shorthanded tables, and manage to keep pace until the final table.

I stay away from the push fest that erupts until we get down to 5. I open push with KJo and get called by QTo. Unfortunately, the river double pairs the board and, with the Ace on flop, we chop the pot. Booo! Finally, I push UTG with 86s (sure to be live), get called by the same guy as last hand, and the big stack pushes all in. If he doesn't have a big pair, I'm getting great odds with live cards. He flips AKo, but I don't get there. 5th place for the night. Meh.

My current contract is expiring at the end of the month, and I usually take a week off before starting with the next client. I'm thinking about heading to A.C. for some daytime poker at some time during that first week in March. Anyone else going to be down there that week? I'm planning on playing the morning tournament at the Trop one of those days and maybe some cash if I bust early.

No comments: