Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Things That Go Kaboom!

If AK is the Anna Kournikova because it never wins, then AQ is definitely the Al Qaeda because playing it is like being on a suicide mission. Anyway, for the two people who drop by from time to time to read my drivel, what's up guys?

Yesterday, my older daughter had a morning dentist appointment which I had the privilege of bringing her to. So, by the time we were done and I got her back to school, it was going to be lunchtime before I would be able to get down to Wilmington just for a half day of work. With impending doom from the heavens in the form of a "wintry mix", I decided that I wasn't going to deal with that commute and went to play the afternoon Riverchasers freeroll in Limerick instead. Easy decision? I though so too.

Given the weather forecast, turnout was a little light, and we only started with 4 full tables. I really like this afternoon game as it's mostly retirees, night shifters, and the unemployed. This mix generally makes for some less LAGish poker.

I almost busted in the first hour. Almost. I checked my option in the BB with Q5o after 5 limpers and flopped top and bottom pair (Q95 rainbow). After SB checked, I bet out about the size of the pot and got 3 callers. Then an 8 hit the turn and I decided to check to see what would happen. UTG bet almost 1/2 the pot and got two callers. I considered just calling, but with so much money in the pot and a good but vulnerable hand, I shoved right there. UTG agonized before folding and then the other two callers folded quickly. I flipped the Q5 and dragged the nice pot, practically doubling, when UTG said, "nice bet, real nice bet" and pulled his Q8 out of the muck. I don't know of another player on this tour that makes that laydown. Just sick.

Now that I was comfortable, I was able to loosen up a bit if I wanted, but just wasn't getting spots I thought were right. I did pick up a nice pot with a suited JackAce where I raised 3.5x BB preflop, got two callers on that bet and on the flop c-bet (with an A on the flop) and nothing more. Some more chips came my way when my OESD filled on the river and cracked top pair in a multi way pot. And by that time, the table broke and we went down to 2 tables.

Now up against a couple big stacks, I really needed to pick my spots carefully. Of course, when you really need one is when it is least likely to come. I blinded down a bit and then an AQ went kablooie on a KKT flop against AT. As soon as we hit the points bubble, I picked up AQ UTG (5 handed) and raised all-in 3.5x BB (50-100 blinds). Evidently, my fuse wouldn't light as I just picked up the blinds. At the same time, someone went busto at the other table and the final 9 were set.

Fast foward a bit, there has been one elimination and I'm in the SB with AQ. There are two limpers before I shove and, even though BB and EP fold, MP big stack calls with presto. T2TJT, the belt detonates, and IGH 8th.

Anyway, my win a few weeks ago in "that other league" once again qualified me for their semi-final event which is tonight. Top 10 in that advance to play with the overall top 14 in points (who earned byes) in a final 3 table event, $500 winner takes all. Last time around, I was able to dig myself out from my short starting stack of 20 BBs to advance. This time, I finished in the top half of the field for the season (even though I only played once) so my starting stack should be a bit more comfortable.

I predict that the Sixers will not win another game the rest of the season. There, that should get them into the playoffs. Some will attest that there are bigger coolers out there when it comes to sports betting. I humbly disagree. Bet against me every time. You can quit your job.

No comments: