Monday, June 2, 2008

Riverchasers TOC Recap

What a cluckin fuster!



I was supposed to meet millerd33 (get a damn blog already!) at Champs at 11:00AM Saturday morning for the ride up to Reading. 11:15 and he's still not there and was I smart enough to get his number in case something happened? Hell no. Thankfully, I get a hold of riggs who tells me that miller is on his way, and that he has the prizes in the car. But, he's not going and can I bring them up? Evidently, the prior night's birthday celebration put him on the brink of death. So, like a trooper, he rolls in around 11:40 with 2 boxes of stuff. Just in time for a huge thunderstorm to hit. F me.



Thankfully, I got to the tourney site about 10 minutes prior to start, but 20 minutes after registration closed. Ray was good enough not to enforce the no late registrations rule or there would have been a bit of hell to pay.



I liked my first table. Pretty tight, not very aggressive, but looking to trap. Just needed to put on my bullet dodging hat and I'd be ok. Got JJ pretty early on and won a small pot with a pre-flop raise and c-bet on a 10 high flop. Stole another set of blinds with KT sooooooted and then played my first decent sized pot of the day. Blinds were 5/10 and I made it 35 to go from MP with AJ0. One of the blinds decided to call and the flop came Txx rainbow. He checked and I fired out another 40. He smooth called. Now I wasn't quite liking the unimproved jackace anymore. Ace came on the turn and I checked behind him hoping that he would believe that was a scare card for me. I forget what the river was but, when he checked again, I had a feeling I was only getting called by a better hand so I turned over top pair while he sheepishly tabled bottom pair(?).



Anyway, right after the break our table broke. Boo! I was moved to a table that was much more typical Reading. And that, my friends, is not a good thing. No sir. Not one little bit. I blinded down just a tad, trying to reestablish a tight image at the new table at which point I screwed up bad. And it cost me. Blinds were up to 15/30 and I had about T275 left. It folded to me in MP and I raised to 100 with AQo. WTF? How much more of a stupid play could I have made? Guy on the button had gone from shorty to table chip leader with AA twice the prior orbit. He considered my bet for a bit and called. Flop came KJx with 2 diamonds and I shoved, hoping he hadn't hit it hard enough to call. He picked up the nut flush draw with A4d and was obviously priced in at that point. Of course he spiked another diamond right on the turn and I was done.



I literally yelled at myself for half the drive home. Why do I give anyone the option to play that pot pre-flop for 100? I needed to shove pf and be happy with taking the blinds. Would he have called a shove pf? Possibly, but it would have been for 1/5-1/4 of his stack and he actually didn't seem to be the type that would want to risk that much on a speculative hand without a chance of making more if he hit. Actually, I think the pf call was a little loose considering I wasn't all that deep. I just prove to myself over and over again why I suck at this game.



4 DAYS UNTIL VEGAS!!!! Room at the IP is booked and I get into McCarran around 6:00PM Friday night. Hopefully, I'll be able to track some folks down not too long after I land. If you're going to be there, shoot me some contact info at jasper6294 *AT* gmail *DOT* com.

And there go another 5 minutes of your life you're never getting back.

1 comment:

mookie99 said...

I'll be in Vegas on Friday too. Probably be at MGM that night.