Wednesday, December 5, 2007

No Sets For You

Last night's Riverchasers free roll was an exercise in futility. Every hand was 5 or 6 gapped and unsuited. Every flop was chock full of high cards. Every donk was in love with any Ace and any two high cards. Except for one AKs at level 2 that I took down pre-flop with a 4x raise, and a turned 2nd nut flush with KT out of the BB at level 3, there was nothing.

Except the baby pairs. Seeing as this was all I was getting, and the table was pretty passive, I tried to set mine at least 4 or 5 times with 22, 33, and 44 from any position. Not. A. Set. To. Be. Found. I finally got frustrated with around 6 BB left at 10/20. When everyone folded around to my SB, I shoved. I barely looked at my cards before I did it. I really didn't care what they were, as I was planning on making that move in good position at some point soon. Anyway, the fact that I hadn't played more than 5 or 6 hands the whole night, or that the only time I came in for a raise I showed AKs, didn't stop donkette from calling me with ATo. Whatever. I know she thought that her stack warranted the call, but if she loses that hand, she only has around 10 BB left.

As an aside, how does a player build a stack up to 13 times what he started with, in a 45 person tournament, and NOT make the final table? As a matter of fact, the final 2 tables were still almost full when he busted. Sometimes I just don't understand this game or the people who play it.

No comments: