Thursday, January 8, 2009

An Institute You Can't Disparage

Denial. It's not just a river in Africa. It seems my parents are (at least mildly) racist and will not accept the fact. Mom picks up the younger girl from school once a week and then I join them for dinner when I go get her to bring her home. Anyway, Dad likes to keep the tv on during dinner and a clip comes on of Michael Steele, ex Lt. Gov of Maryland. Also, African-American. Mom goes, "Oh, we really like him. He's so articulate." What? Why that word? To me, that implies that her assumption is that he would NOT be articulate and that she was surprised and pleased that he is. And why would that be? I asked her if she would have said the same thing about a white guy and got back something incoherent about Barney Frank being white and inarticulate and her not liking him.

Now, if Barney Frank had been on tv instead, I'm sure I would've gotten something about how he's a moron, or his politics suck. Then maybe something about his mumbling to pile on. Instead, even though I know she agrees wholeheartedly with his politics and there are many other fine primary descriptors she could have used, she went right to articulate. Could I be wrong here?

Anyway, TV Thursday... January 8, 2009:



Married With Children. The best show to ever air. Period.

And there go another 5 minutes of your life you're not getting back...

1 comment:

OhCaptain said...

Wiener water soup and toaster leavins...best meal ever.