Monday, October 22, 2007

Poker or FFL... Which One Am I Worse At?

So the Eagles blew a late 4th quarter lead at home to Brian Griese? Ok, whatever, moving on.

I played the afternoon RPT event in Hatboro on Sunday. Things got going at 1 PM with 6 full tables, and mine was a nice mix of styles. Since I couldn't find a good spot early, I folded almost every hand for the first half hour. But shortly into level 2 (2/4), I picked up QQ in MP and open raised 3x BB which was called by only SB and BB. After the flop came 6 high with 2 hearts, both blinds check-called my 15 bet. The 7 of hearts came off on the turn and the SB shoved. After the BB folded, I was left with a decision for the rest of my stack. Now, I have played with the SB many times and know that he could be full of it. On the other hand, he also frequently plays middle and suited cards regardless of position. Did he chase down the flush or turn 2 pair? Or was he still drawing at a straight or flush, which he will also play the same way. I absolutely hate calling off my entire stack that early, especially when I could very well have been drawing dead. So I laid it down.

He showed TPSK with no hearts and asked quite sarcastically if I was beat. Well played sir.

Fast forward a bit and I pick up 23o in the SB and complete with pot odds and flop bottom 2 pair. With 2 spades on the flop and 4 people in the hand, I just shove and increase my stack 50%. That's as good as it got as I made it as far as the final 2 tables, but then busted out in 15th on a non-eventful hand.

On the fantasy football front, I decided to swap out Earnest Graham for Michael Bennett prior to the early games. Good move. Graham had 90+ yards each rushing and receiving, but failed to get in the end zone. Unfortunately, I was also faced with a tough decision as it seemed better than likely that Marvin Harrison was not going to play Monday night. And since Driver and Chambers were on a bye, I needed to fill in his spot. I knew I should have picked up Toomer, but I went with Engram instead. Could have been worse.

Actually it was. My opponent had Randy Moss who found the end zone twice before the coin flip even came down, and a bye week replacement in the Redskins DST who also scored in the first half against Zona. I was down 26 points going into the late games and unfortunately was only able to make back about half that deficit. If Marvin does play tonight and scores 22 points or more... I just don't want to think about it. I did what I had to do. I couldn't afford to take chance at a zero point result out of one of my WR's. The worst move, though, was riding Stover and sitting Gould. Although, that would have only gotten me within 2 (9 if you take out Engram's numbers) and even more pissy if Harrison plays. Looks like I'll be playing the spoiler role for the second half.

At least Penn State hung on for the win. I won't have that to fall back on this coming weekend (vs OSU), so something else better change...

No comments: